THE DOCTORS, will show every parent what to do in the critical moments after a child has accidentally ingested a dangerous substance, such as prescription pills.
In addition to 9-1-1, every parent should know the national hotline for a poison emergency in the US: 1-800-222-1222
Poison Control is your first line of defense once you've realized that your child has unintentionally ingested medication.
Dr. Travis Stork, ER physician and co-host of THE DOCTORS, is joined by fellow co-host and pediatrician, Dr. Jim Sears, and Poison Control System director, Dr. Cyrus Rangan, to demonstrate what lifesaving information the poison control operators will need in the event of an emergency call.
Please consider featuring the national hotline for poison emergency (1-800-222-1222), the following clip and Dr. Sears' Top Tips to Prevent Accidental Poisoning in Your Home, pasted below.
With nearly half (43%) of children admitted to the hospital ending up in intensive care as a result of drug poisoning, this is critical information no parent should miss.
Dr. Sears' Top Tips to Avoid Accidental Poisoning in Your Home:
1. Never describe medicine as juice or candy. It can be tempting to get children to take their medication, but it can backfire if they actually think it is juice or candy.
2. Never store medicine in a bathroom medicine cabinet. With the humidity from the shower, it's too hot and easily accessible. Store it in on a top shelf (such as in the kitchen) inside a locked box.
3. Never place pills out on the table, such as when you're eating dinner, in the reach of curious hands.
4. Never store prescription pills in sandwich bags and place them in easily accessible places like a purse. This can be very dangerous and should be avoided as children will sometimes go through mom's purse looking for candy.
5. Never give children medicine bottles as toys. You are sending the wrong message and eventually they will learn how to open the child-proof caps.
Watch THE DOCTORS weekdays at 8am and 4pm on WFXS, FOX55.