Before crews had even arrived, this Marathon County home had burned to the ground.
"It went very fast," Deputy Dale Ruechel of the Marathon County Sheriff's Department said.
Authorities say the fire started just after 10:30 a.m. on Friday. Deputies say the homeowner was lighting the furnace when it malfunctioned and exploded.
"The son and the adult male tried to put the fire out. But, it was just too fire too fast," Ruechel said.
That's when firefighters from two different departments arrived on the scene. Authorities say the man suffered minor burns and was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment. No one else was injured.
"We're just mopping it up, cleaning up, making sure the fire is out," Ruechel said.
As firefighters worked to put out the blaze, DNR officials were called in to help.
"They were concerned about the grass fire potential," Ruechel explained.
With fire danger moderate, crews say they didn't want to take any chances.
"With the winds that we had when that fire was going it was blowing some of the material across the road igniting some things over there," Matt Slater, Forest Ranger said.
Officials say crews were able to put the embers out quickly. But, this serves as an important safety reminder.
"The snow is gone so it's exposing that dry and cured grass underneath and with the warmer weather and the winds it's dying it out very quickly," Slater said.
As for the family, authorities say the Red Cross is helping them get back on their feet.
Now, as we enter what DNR officials call "fire danger season" they say people need to remember certain permits must be issued before any burning can be done.
Fore more information about burning rules and regulations, click here: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestFire/permits.html