Cigarette butt ignites Wausau house fire - WFXS, MyFoxWausau - News and Weather for Wausau, WI

Cigarette butt ignites Wausau house fire

Posted:

WAUSAU (WAOW) – A cigarette butt ignited a fire that damaged a Wausau home Wednesday, the Wausau Fire Department said.

Firefighters cut a 2-foot by 2-foot hole in an outside wall to put out the fire, and little interior damage occurred, Battalion Chief Paul Czarapata said.

The fire was reported about 3:45 p.m. at the corner of North Third and McIndoe streets, causing an estimated $200 in damage, he said.

Investigators believe a cigarette butt that was still smoldering somehow got up against a sill plate of the house and started the fire, Czarapata said.

Someone driving by saw smoke and called 911, he said.

Czarapata said firefighters found evidence of cigarette butts on a porch of the home and on the ground near where the fire erupted, providing evidence of the danger of not properly disposing of smoking materials.

The wind can blow a smoldering cigarette butt into a crack in the wood, he said.

Powered by WorldNow
Home  |  News  |  Sports  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Money  |  Health  |  Entertainment  |  Inside FOX  |  About Us  |  LookItUp Wisconsin  |  Casino Chatter
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WFXS. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.